Dec 1, 2006

Concert Reviews @ The Temple

I saw Thomas Dolby & BT tonight, it was pretty sweet.  Thomas Dolby, it turns out, is the dude who did that 80s song Blinded By Science, who knew?  Well, not me.  But he was pretty cool, told funny stories, had good, if sometimes goofy, music.  It was all, I guess, his stuff from the 80s, hence the goofiness.  I guess he'll do another tour next year w/ new stuff, I think I'd go, he was fun.

Then BT, who was very cool.  I wasn't sure what to expect of this concert, I've never done an electronic concert, seems weird to me, like maybe it's just a guy up there pressing the play button on a computer?  But BT had a whole band, and he played like 5 instruments himself, and it was all in all very good.  Probably better if you are higher than crap at the time, but still good.  He wasn't as talkative as Dolby, which I would have appreciated.  I heard him on Dawn & Drew and he is the coolest guy, or at least he plays one one TV, wish I coulda heard more of that coolness.  He ended w/ a pretty amazing song.  The whole concert, both dudes, had a visual component, stuff on the screen.  BT's last song was written for his daughter, so the screen was lots of images of her and of them together, and words.  The words were verrry on the nose.  Nothing subtle here, just plain ole "I will watch you grow up"  "I thank god for you" "I will love you forever" kind of stuff.  But it managed to be fairly touching anyway.

One other note, there were of course glow stick dancers.  These folks are always pretty goofy, acting all slick and stuff, and I'm just going "uhh... how do you know when you mess up?"  But then!  Then some 40 year old dude is trying to do it, and he suuuuucked.  I couldn't tell you what he was doing wrong, or what they were doing right, but he was awful.  So... that's fun.

No comments: