Oct 27, 2006

Michael J Fox

I sort of assume everyone has seen this, I always miss the big stories for that reason.  But just in case, quick recap: Michael J Fox did an ad for a senate race in Missouri, for the democratic candidate who supports stem cell research (as he obviously does).  The big hooplah came cuz Rush Limbaugh decided he was faking or purposefully slacked on medication to make the commercial more effective.  Even going so far as to mimic/mock Fox's motion.  Sadly, real life had to intrude.  Point is, if he had stopped his medication, he wouldn't be able to move at all.  Turns out it was an exess that produced those particular symptoms.  Is he using his celebrity and sad condition to push people into caring?  Umm...duh.  If I couldn't sit still for 2 seconds, if I didn't have control of my own body, I think I'd do whatever I had to to make people pay attention.  Another fun point, no conservatives complained when Fox used his celebrity for Arlen Specter in 2004!  Though I did find one blog post of liberals complaining how he's not even american, hahaha.  Careful liberals, a counter-asshole is still an asshole.

And on an even larger point, it's amazing that Rush Limbaugh can say mission accomplished!  We are spending more time talking about whether Fox was faking than about the actual issue!  And as much as folks like me are jumping up and down screaming that Limbaugh is EVIL, he is going to get away with it just fine.  He's not going to get Dixie Chick'd for saying such things, it's perfectly acceptable for a conservative to make amazingly outrageous claims and not even express remorse, let alone feel consequences!  Meanwhile the more official members of their cabal reap political capital from the whole event.

Then again, Fuck Limbaugh.

No comments: