Mar 1, 2008

Movie Reviews @ The Temple

Jumper - Sigh.  I was so excited for this movie!!  It's a dude, and he teleports!!!  How can that not be awesome?!  Well, it turns out, it's not awesome.  Chiefly the writing, absolutely horrendous.  The first 30 minutes are painful.  They gave Diane Lane the shittiest dialog.  Samuel Jackson just does his squinty glarey thing the whole time.  It's really disappointing.  There are cool parts, and teleportation is always cool, no matter what.  It just fails in most other respects.  Plus, I made someone else endure it with me, for which I feel rather bad.

Into The Wild - Help!  I don't know what to do with this movie!  My first impression is how unbelievably obnoxious it is.  The main character is a spoiled little brat whose form of rebellion is this pseudo-philisophical, naturalist, faux-poetic, self-righteous bullshit life choice.  I was so annoyed with him, I don't need his stupid story to teach me about the importance of human relationships, I already figured it out!  On the other hand, the people he meets throughout are pretty great.  The old man at the end, whose performance was nominated for an oscar and was the reason I watched this movie, is amazing.  So do I hate it?  Love it?  I don't buy the poetry, I don't buy the beauty.  The main character is a douche, but I guess they knew that, right?  I'm supposed to appreciate it inspite of, because of, that?  I don't know!  I'm very confused.  Great soundtrack though.

Last King of Scotland - Wow, this was pretty great.  Maybe not exactly as amazing as I had heard, but pretty awesome.  Forest Whitaker is amazing.  His descent through the movie is really good.  If There Will Be Blood hadn't flipped my shit so hardcore, I might be calling it the best batshit-insane acting I've seen in a while.  I didn't know the story, so I didn't know how it would end, so I guess that made it more suspenseful for me.  The whole last bit is pretty intense.  So yeah, if you are as far behind as me on big movies, I'd say go see it!

Fur - BORing!  This movie is supposed to be a shocking and dramatic romance.  I notice one reviewer brings up Birth, the last Nicole Kidman movie that had a shocking and dramatic romance.  This time it's a wolfman type guy. zzzzzz  Don't care about him, or her, or if they do or don't fall in love.  At times I questioned myself, like it felt like it should have been good and I wasn't getting it.  But I think that's just it, it thought it should be good, but it wasn't.

One Night With The King - Okay, this movie isn't so great, I guess.  The writing and acting are pretty bad.  The weird thing is that despite that, I didn't hate the movie.  It kept me moderatley interested.  Maybe because I don't know the story (it's a bible story, about esther), I was more interested than I otherwise would have been.  Anyway, I can't really recommend it, it's not good at all, but it's not too horrible.

The Queen - Another 2006 oscar movie I'm just getting too!  Pretty fascinating.  I've never been at all interested in the royals thing, so I didn't know much about it.  Despite not caring, though, the movie was very captivating, like a behind the scenes view of a very public affair (the death of princess di).  I'm not sure why Helen Mirren got an oscar, she was good and all, great even, but I didn't fall over or anything.  Nothing much more to say, it is pretty much what you would expect, just very well done.

Happy Feet - This movie was entirely completely 100% average.  Not that funny, all popular songs song by people that didn't impress me, ok animation, ok story, ok everything, who cares?  And I love penguins, I'm an easy audience!  Boring!

Breakfast at Tiffany's - So I had never seen this movie, crazy right?  I rather liked it!  It has the single most offensive character I've ever seen ever in a movie.  Mickey Rooney playing a japanese landlord, complete with puffed up cheeks and buck teeth.  It was absolutely atrocious.  Black face is the only thing I can think of MORE offensive!  Besides that, though, I am, as usual, very impressed with the cleverness and the writing in these old movies.  Nice subtle remarks, leaving things unsaid that don't need to be said.  It's cheesy and corny, and the ending is totally boring romance stuff, but most of the movie was quite enjoyable.

 El Espinazo del Diablo - Oh wow, this movie is great!  It's by Guillermo del Toro (pan's labyrinth), and it's kind of a ghost story.  Though it's really another story with a ghost story character.  It's really fantastic, not super scary, but I love the ghost and his special effect.  This is why seeing foreign scary movies is cool.  We are all used to the american thing, and by now even the japanese thing.  Whatever you think the merits of the different kinds are, just seeing a different approach to it is a lot of fun.  I was really impessed by the whole thing, I likes it!

No comments: