Dec 30, 2007

Book Reviews @ The Temple

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card - Jeez, what kind of nerd spends 28 years NOT reading Ender's Game?  Well I finally got to it, and it is fantastic, as you might expect.  Much different and darker than I expected, but great nonetheless.

Speaker For The Dead - The first sequel to Ender, also a very good book.  Nothing like Ender, I'm afraid, but a solid scifi book with a good universe and story.

No god but God by Reza Aslan - Wow.  Wowie zowie.  This book is amazing.  The most dramatic piece of non-fiction I've read in a long time.  I always feel like I know pathetically little about Islam and its history, but this book was a great help.  Moreover, his primary argument is that the current violence in that part of the world is a result of a Muslim Reformation, an internal struggle.  Christianity had one of these 15 centuries in and it was bloody and violent.  Islam is now in it's 15th century, but the weapons are bigger and the consequences (of both their actions and ours) more severe.  I say again, an amazing book, maybe the best I read all year.

No comments: