Jul 21, 2008

Watchmen

So I saw the trailer for Watchmen before batman.  I've been pretty ambivilent about the movie, I don't see how it can possibly do the book right.  I mean, Watchmen is, like, literary.  Time or someone named it one of the 100 most significant works of fiction of the past however many years.  It's dense, its complicated, tell ya the truth, it was too much for me.  I'm excited to read it a second time around before the movie comes out just so I can understand it better.  It's very meta, or post-modern, or whatever, its aware of its environment.  And so much of what came after it is aware of it.  I can't imagine them making a movie that matches its depth.  The trailer did look really good, though, in just a dramatic eye candy kind of way.  Come to find out, there is an extraordinary amount of scene-to-scene faithfulness (think 300 or Sin City) to the comic.  Which brings me to my point: this comparison by Major Spoilers is totally cool.

No comments: