Jun 29, 2008

Video Game Reviews @ The Temple

Warhawk - Well, jeez.  It's an FPS, on a console, online.  How did this game have any chance with me?  To be fair, it seems like it might be ok if you were into it.  Kind of Battlefield for the PS3, except no classes.  I'd rather just play battlefield.  PS I suck hardcore at console FPSs.  PPS everyone on the internet is a douche.

Gran Turismo 5: Prologue - So, here's the thing with me and driving games, we don't really get along.  The best racing games ever are the Burnout series because they aren't really racing games.  They are crash into things and blow shit up games - wonderful.  For the most part every other racing game ever made sucks, which may or may not have something to do with the fact that I suck at them.  The one exception to this was Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec, which I played the shit out of.  There is some magic to the realisim of the GT games that lets people who suck at them feel like they are at least learning and getting better because they teach you.  Prologue is the same way, I have much more fun playing it than I should.  Unfortunately, it is a stunted game.  Everyone kinda knows this, it's practically a demo, only like 4 tracks, maybe 40 or 50 cars total?  Kinda limited, though I gave up before I hit that limit cuz I suck.  So, it's beautiful, plays wonderful, it's brilliant.  But it is not a full game, and not worth $40.  Great rental though.

Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 - Pretty good!  I had heard the first one was great, but it was on 360 and I never got to it on PC.  I had also heard vegas 2 is basically the same game again, which is a good thing!  This is the only way I can imagine playing FPSs successfully on a console.  It's more patient, more tactical, less twitchy.  There's still a retarded level where it's just you against an army and its super frustrating.  But besides that it was a lot of fun, I didn't get bored, which is saying something.  The story itself is standard, the acting is decent.  It's a fun game, though, defintely worth the time.

God of War 2: Woooooooo!  Who doesn't love god of war?  c'mon, you strap on huge chains, chop bad guys in half, rip wings off of other bad guys, shove knives down more bad guyss throat, cut some bad guys in half, it's great!  It's not an evolution on the first game in any way, it is exactly the same.  But it's been so long since i played the first, that this was fantastic fun.  Plus I actually really loved the cgi'd history of the greek gods, it was way cool to see.  The game is also wisely short and ends before I got sick of it (something I'm sure most people disagree with me on).  Thumbs up all around, super fun.

Army of Two: Hahaha, I can't play this game without thinking of this Penny Arcade comic.  They really do that!  Besides that?  Well, it's an okay game, I guess.  It's not bad.  The teammate mechanic is pretty good.  The aggro aspect is what makes it work, and the AI on the partner isn't too retarded, which is nice.  The dual-sniping thing is a great idea, but completely unused.  Maybe the game is more fun played coop (I assume it has coop), but it's really kind of average.  Buying weapons is fun, I guess?  But most games you can just choose all your weapons, or they are unlocked, and now I have to buy them.  The acting is good, the story is decent, if unoriginal.  Its interesting to see a game about the whole private military contractor thing that is very hot button these days.  I'm glad it was short cuz I was pretty much done with the gameplay after a few levels.  Anyway, it was fun enough, but it didn't change my life.

No comments: