May 11, 2008

Movie Reviews @ The Temple

Ironman - Alllllright.  So, this is a very good movie.  Robert Downey Jr., as we have all been saying for years, is Tony Stark Incarnate.  Jeff Bridges is mostly great, Gwenyth Paltrow is good enough up till the end.  The writing is better than most of these movies, genuinely funny.  The action is great, when there is some, and the CG is amazing, ironman is copy&pasted directly from the comic and it's fantastic.  So, mostly very good.  It is not the second coming of Batman Begins, however (nor was Batman Begins the second coming of anything, bee tee dubs).  There is too much building.  I know that's kind of necessary because it's his origin story, but I could have done with 7 or 8 fewer building montages, and 1 or 2 more ironamn shooting shit montages.  Plus the end is kinda retarded, Pepper Pots turns into a second rate slasher flick dumb bitch and the "finishing move" makes no sense in a movie inundated with suspension of disbelief (most of which - all the tech, the weapons, the computers, the AI - I am happy to embrace).  So i was not blown away, it is very good, but it didn't change my life.

Snow Cake - This movie is good.  It's pretty forgettable though.  Which is sad, no one does a bad job.  Alan Rickman is just sort of himself, but it's good.  Sigorney Weaver is decent as a person with autism.  Even Carrie Anne Moss is servicable.  I don't know, it's fine, it's good, but I won't remember it later, I'm pretty sure.  Best line of the movie: "It's ok, I know about autism, I've seen that movie."

Horton Hears a Who - Sure, whatever.  It's funny, it's cute.  I saw it yesterday and I already forgot most of it!  If you like this kind of thing, for sure see it, it is entertaining.  But it's just a decent animated movie.

Adam's Rib - Another in the Let's See Old Movies series, it was good enough.  Defintely not as good as Tiffany's, it was interesting in the context of when it came out, though.  Women's rights and equality and such in the 40s.  The courtroom drama is kind of stupid, but it's impact on the relationship is cool, which I guess is the point.  I don't think I've ever seen a Spencer Tracy movie, maybe not even Hepburn, so it was good to see them, they are certainly great at what they do.  I think what blew me away about Tiffany's was the cleverness in the writing though.  The writing here isn't bad at all, certainly, but it doesn't have quite the wit or subtlety, I don't think.

License to Wed - I'm writing this 30 minutes in to this movie, it is stupid AND retarded.  It's not funny, Robin WIlliams is a joke anymore and not in a good way.  The entire set up is just aggrivating to watch.  I'll probably watch the rest cuz its just one while I play a game, but jesus it is dumb.

Angel-A - Hm, kind of a weird French movie.  I'ts by Luc Besson (he did 5th element, not that that's very relevant).  Mostly its about a rock-bottom kind of guy turning it around, but with this fantastic (as in fantasy) element thrown in.  It's good, I guess, kind of basic.  There are a couple really wonderful parts (one is just a camera shot going under a bridge).  The thing in the mirror is very nice.  The end is strange.  Not unexpected strange, just strange that they actually went there.  There's a funny resonance with Battlestar Galactica of all things, the tall blonde other worldly woman who acts as guide and conscience and savior (kind of).  I dunno, I guess I like it, but not crazy like.

No comments: